Friday, June 12, 2009

True to Form

Well, as always happens with me, I have let my Bible Study go as things in my life started to improve. That last phrase sounds like something else caused it to happen, though, not me. Another fault of mine! I chose to spend my time on other things, not contemplating the word of God each day. There, I said it. I'm woefully imperfect.

I didn't completely abandon all Bible Study, I just sort of let things slide here at home, in my quiet time. I have lots of excuses (Simon being home, end of the school year hustle, walking more, therefore doing more around the house and getting out more, etc, etc, etc) but the sad fact is this: when things aren't so bad, I rely on my own devices more often.

And really, isn't it a good thing that I'm feeling better? Walking better? Doing better?

Well, of course it is! But here's the thing about feeling better - if it pulls me away from a close relationship with God, what is the benefit? This brings me back around to this: what is the benefit of hard times? Is there a good that comes from suffering?

You bet! I've already written about verses that talk about everything working to the good, etc, and so many of the men who wrote the Bible were going through personal suffering that there are lots of verses that address this issue.

The verse I'm focusing on today is James 1:2-4
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.


Yup, you read that right - consider it joy to encounter trials because the testing of your faith produces endurance. This is what will make you strong, then, going through trials.

So - what kinds of benefits do we get from the good times? Well, it's easy. Yup - that's about it. Good times don't test our faith at all, really, do they? We coast along, sometimes even in the illusion that we're doing it all on our own! Well, bully for us, eh?

I'm praying today that, even as things get easier for me, the Lord will bring to my mind the lessons I've learned during my trials:
  • He is most important
  • My relationship with God is my most important relationship - all others will fall into place if this one is in good standing
  • My family comes next
  • My job is down the line - not as important as God or Family (go figure)
  • Everything that is good about me or what I do comes from God working through me - not from my own power
  • God working through me is pretty damn fabulous!
I start back to work (part time at first) next Monday. If you've a mind to, please pray that these lessons will be with me, and that I will approach each day prayerfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment