Monday, April 27, 2009

Promises

Studying Isaiah, I am overwhelmed by some of the promises that God made to Isreal and Judah, and consequently to us today. This book has a lot of horrible consequences for the unbelievers, but of course, wanting to stay positive, I'm looking harder at the promises. Here are a few I've found today in my reading:

45:22
Turn to me and be saves, all the ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.

46: 4
Even to your old age, i shall be the same, and even to your graying years I shall bear you. I have done it, and I shall carry you and I shall bear you and I shall deliver you.


I love the clear and direct language in some of these verses . . .
46:12-13
Listen to me, you stubborn-minded, (who, me?) who are far from righteousness. I bring near my righteousness, it is not far off; and my salvation will not delay,
and I will grant salvation in Zion,
and my glory for Israel.

49:13
Shout for joy, O heavens! And rejoice, O earth! Break forth into joyful shouting, O mountains! For the Lord has comforted His people, and will have compassion on His afflicted.

But this one really struck me this morning, for I often hold my tongue when I fear that I will face ridicule or judgement because I am a Christian:
50:4-7
The Lord God has given me the tonue of disciples, that I man know how to sustain the weary one with a word. He awakens me morning yb morning. He awakens my ear to listen as a disciple. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not disobedient. Nor did I turn back. I gave my back to those who strike me, and my cheeks to those who pluck out the beard. I did not cover my face from humiliation and spitting. for the Lord God helps me. Therefore, I am not disgraces' therefore, I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.

I don't think there is anyone who knows me who would say that I am timid or shy, yet when faced with sharing my faith in God, I hesitate. I keep my mouth closed when I know that I have words of life. What have I to fear? Nothing! I should not be ashamed to share God's word! So what holds me back? I think I might offend someone, I fear that someone will think that I'm vaccuous or vapid for believing, and I worry that people won't like me. Did you get that? I'm worried about receiving judgement from people, who have no power to judge (and, indeed, who would lambast me at the first sign of myself being judgmental, right?)

I am praying today for boldness to show the strong, real love of God to those around me by respecting them (and myself, and God) enough to these life-affirming words of love, hope and salvation.

I will remember this verse;
53:12
But you will not go out in haste, nor will you go as fugitives; for the Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel will be your rear guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment